Friday, June 13, 2014

Why cupcakes should be fried

We had friends come over game night. Yes...we be geeks here. I have mentioned it before...but for new readers, my husband plays Dungeons and Dragons. Old school. Supported by dice, books, character game sheets and imagination. I honestly don't play. Yet I don't escape the geek label at all, I just prefer my role playing games with computer graphics. I'm a visual person. Anyway, game night is just as much about throwing dice to defeat monsters as being foodies. Seriously, there are more posts back and forth on Facebook figuring out what to eat than figuring out the date we are playing, which house and who is going to DM (for non-gamers, that means be the dungeon master, but a verb).

When one of my gaming friends found out I was making donuts this year, she gave me two donut cookbooks. This month she requested chocolate and bacon donuts for game night, so I yanked out of the books she gave me.

I have to be honest though. I am getting tired of this quest already. I could bake cookies every day if I didn't have such a full schedule, but making donuts is quite the production. It requires extra set up and the clean up is insane. I mustered up some motivation, but I was starting to feel like that half-asleep guy from the old Dunkin' donut commercials. Time to make the donuts....

I made the buttermilk cake donuts from this book: Donuts by Elinor Klivans

Once I took a bite I realized something. These donuts remind me of something else I love...yellow cupcakes with chocolate frosting. It is sort of the same thing. But it's FRIED cake with chocolate glaze and then guess what? BACON. or sprinkles.












I also used a new oil this time, safflower oil. Which is supposed to be sorta-healthy and good for frying. The results: the donuts were not greasy! Finally! 

Now bake that!

No comments:

Post a Comment