Friday, July 25, 2014

Blazing hot blueberries

Another month, another type of donut. At the end of July, I wanted something summer-y. Seasonal. I selected sour cream-blueberry drops. I know, "drops" sound like candy or cookies. Really they are donut holes. Blueberry filled, cinnamon flavored donut holes.

Like last month, I used the recipe book: Donuts by Elinor Klivans

I had some issues with the dough. It ended up really dry. I just mixed in some milk until the dough was not so dry. Actually, the dough was super sticky. I tried to use a metal spoon to scoop it out as directed, but found it easier to use a cookie sized, ice cream scoop. You shove three blueberries in the middle, making sure the dough completely covers the blueberries so they don't make a suicide jump into the oil while you fry them.
Then pop them in the oil for a little swim and afterwards, sprinkle them in powdered sugar.






They ended up absolutely fantastic, but just to warn you….the blueberries are blazing hot! Like little blue fire bombs. When you get over burning the roof of your mouth, they tasted like sweet, fried, blueberry muffins. 


I made a batch of plain ones next and they were excellent too. Then I figured cinnamon flavor would be really good with butterscotch chips. The next batch I traded out the blueberries in one batch. You guessed it. Blazing hot butterscotch! Also amazing.

Now Bake That!



No comments:

Post a Comment