Sunday, January 10, 2016

New Year's Resolution take 4: Sugar on top!

I'm back!!! 

The reason I haven't been blogging is I started to feel very guilty that I was baking all these awesome desserts that my husband with Diabetes shouldn't be eating. I still baked, but it was mostly for holidays, potlucks or I brought the sweet stuff to work (much to the frustration of those dieting).

I toyed with making sugar-free desserts, but I had a big problem. I don't like fake sugar and it doesn't like me back. I find most alternative sweeteners to be disgusting/icky after taste, make my stomach hurt and/or they give me a migraine. 

So I'm taking the middle road. My New Year's baking resolution for 2016 is to make desserts that are (mostly) sweetened with fruit and to make it taste amazing, put a little of something sugary-sweet on the top!

I started my new journey with Banana Oat Bars. (click the link for the recipe) The recipe recommends some optional mix-ins. I choose to add ground walnuts to the batter for some protein (carbs+protein is a good plan for anyone with blood sugar issues) and my sugar-on-top ingredient was mini chocolate chips.

The recipe can easily be adjusted to be made paleo, kosher parve, vegan, gluten free and nut free. You could also skip my sugar-on-top option and be on the clean-eating wagon. Whatever works for you.

The reason to make these bars:
1. I could give them to my kids for breakfast -- guilt free!
2. They tasted like gooey banana bread. Nuff said.






Now Bake That!




No comments:

Post a Comment